You are My Sunshine

Summer is almost here, and I’m all over it!  During one of my biweekly occasional trips to the thrift store (‘the GW’) I came across these beautiful ornate wooden plates.

There were about 10 of them stacked up nicely, neat, and clean.  What would I do with them?  Yet, how could I possibly pass them  up?  I couldn’t.  But I only took 6 out of principle.  Sometimes I don’t understand my own logic.

Anyway, check out the pretty detail on these babies!  They’re solid wood!  Oh, I forgot the best part… 99 cents a piece!

*SCORE!*

I thought I’d paint two of them yellow and hang them up in the staircase amongst the sea of my kid’s pictures.  And what better message to write on them than ‘you are my sunshine’, cause they are!

I took them outside and got to painting with the spray can:

First a coat of white primer.

Then a light coat of the yellow spray paint.

Went over it again lightly with the white primer, just in the middle. Then with vinyl letters I spelled out the words ‘you are my’ on one plate, and ‘sunshine’ on the other.

For the second plate I used larger letters (4″) for the ‘Sun’ half of the word, and the usual 2″ letters for the ‘shine’ half.

Adding one more coat of yellow over the whole thing.

After all was dry I carefully peeled the letters off:

Then just took a sanding block to it and distressed it all up cause I fancy the ‘beat up’ look!

I love the way these turned out! Makes me smile every time I pass them…

…on the floor as they wait patiently for me to put them up..(hey– I’m a busy girl!).

I can’t wait to show you what they look like up on the wall nestled in between my cutie-pie kid’s pix :)  Come back next week to see the completed gallery wall!

Love, Barbara

P.S.

I’m flooded with ideas on what to do with the remaining 4, but can’t decide!  Do you have any suggestions??

Join me at these FABULOUS linky parties!

DIY projects and crafts

Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Tip Junkie handmade projectsTuesday To Do PartyTDC Before and After

The Taylor House
somewhat simplePhotobucket
PhotobucketIhookedupwithHoHlamespicePhotobucketThriftyThursdayModernButton1 Thrifty Thursday Week 65PhotobucketThe 36th AVENUE OurDIYDiaries Photobucketkatherines cornerImparting GraceDecorating Insanity WhipperberryWeekend Bloggy ReadingChic on a Shoestring Decorating

the Grant LifeHere Comes the Sun
It's Overflowing
The DIY Dreamer Funky Junk Interiors

TutusandTeaParties
The following two tabs change content below.
Barbara is a lover of all things creative, simple, and budget friendly. Chase the Star began in 2012 as a creative outlet and to chronicle her DIY and crafty adventures. She is a working mom and wife residing in sunny Southern California.

Latest posts by Barbara @ Chase the Star (see all)

Comments

• says

Becca, I was waiting for someone to call me out on that! I am planning on putting them up tonight…or tomorrow! haha! Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by!

1. says

LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!! Yellow is such an awesome color :)

I constantly find myself in the same situation…”ooh they have 10 but I only need 1″. It is sooooo hard to pass up. You are good for ONLY getting 6. I would have gotten the 6, I would have probably went back the next day and got the other 4! :)

• says

Jamie, I’m seriously regretting not getting all 10, although I still have 4 that I don’t know what to do with! But still it’d be better to have them all here and not at the thrift store (if someone else hasn’t snatched them up!) Ack! Thanks for the comment and have a great day!

2. says

I LOVE how these turned out friend!!!! :) so so so summer-y I think I would like a set of these in my new house!!! Ohhh I might have to go and find some of these at a thrift store too!!!!
    Jaime
    ps thanks for linking up!!!

3. says

I am stopping in from Richella’s party. Your plates are fantastic. What a transformation. That is my favorite song to sing to my grandchildren so it has extra special significance for me. Fun project and quite a deal. I never seem to find anything worthwhile at GW. I think I need to go more often:-)

4. says

Great idea! I have a large wooden plate in my garage waiting for this!! Tomorrow it happens ;) *ps I couldn’t have resisted all 10 plates*

5. says

Barbara…thank you for linking up to furniture friday.
    We will forgive you this time because these plates are soooo cute. You are one lucky girl to score these. Hopefully we will see you again next week.
    xo…mONICa

6. says

Those are great. I love that song it is so encouraging, my mom sang it to me as a little girl and I love sharing it with my kids. Thanks for coming and sharing this with us at The Sunday Round Up.
    Rose

7. says

What a great find and I love what you did to them. The yellow is perfect!
    Thanks for sharing at our Sunday Round Up! Can’t wait to see what you have for us next weekend. Have a GREAT week!
    xoxo
    Heather

8. says

$0.99?? NO WAY!!! LOVE IT!!! I just ADORE yellow!!!

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream To Reality!
    I’m looking forward to seeing what you link up this evening!

Trackbacks